We've been creating wild projects using our newest animal print iron-on vinyl range including this 'Wild Thing' t-shirt. Not only is it fun to craft with the results create a usable project which can be treasured. Whether you are creating wildlife shapes, writing or creating an abstract design, you can really personalise projects exactly how you like them. Why not mix and match the vinyls together like we have done using HappyFlex and HappyFlex Animal to create a layered effect?
We are going to show you the steps we took to create our Wild Thing tee so you can follow along at home. You could use alternative prints and colours to suit your project!
For this project you will need:
- Blank T-shirt
- HappyFlex Animal Snake Green
- HappyFlex Brown, Cream and Lemon
- Heat Press or an Iron
- Greaseproof paper or HappyRelease paper
- Vinyl cutter such as a Silhouette, Circuit or Brother ScanNCut OR a pen and stencil (to hand cut)
- Create your design on your cutting machine programme. For example for Silhouette machines use Silhouette Studio. We created text with a box around. Remember to mirror your design as you will be cutting into the back of the vinyl (HTV).
If you are hand cutting use a stencil or template to draw around onto the vinyl and hand cut your design.
2. Place the HappyFlex Animal vinyl shiny, print side down onto the cutting mat and send your design to be cut.
3. Remove the vinyl from the mat and weed out your design to reveal the lettering. We then cut the rectangular box shape only using HappyFlex Lemon HTV. This left us with a background that fitted inside the snake print boxed outline.
4. Pre-press the t-shirt to eliminate all creases and moisture within the fabric. This will create a great surface for the vinyl to adhere to.
5. Place the lemon yellow layer in place shiny side up onto the t-shirt, add greaseproof paper and press for 10 seconds with a heat press at 150 degrees. If you are using an iron press for 10 seconds on the 2 dot setting, in sections across the vinyl to make sure each part has had even heat.
6. Once cool to touch peel the shiny carrier away from the vinyl to reveal its smooth, matt finish.
7. Next place the second layer of Snake print vinyl on top lining up it up with the yellow rectangle.
8. Add greaseproof or HappyRelease paper on top and press for 10 seconds at 150 degrees.
9. Once cool to touch peel away the shiny carrier slowly to reveal the smooth layer.
10. You could continue to add more features like we have by adding brown and cream wooden blanks by cutting strips of vinyl in half and placing them opposite each other. Simply repeat the pressing and peeling stages for each layer.
Tah-Dah! Your t-shirt is finished and ready to wear. The effect of this vinyl could create such fun projects from dinosaurs to textured looking writing like this t-shirt! Don't forget to leave the vinyl to settle for 2 days before washing.
Find our cutting, pressing and washing instructions here.
What will you create using our NEW HappyFlex Animal HTV?
Find our full range of prints online.